Wednesday, January 16, 2013

If you're not having fun, then what's the point?


I've been thinking and reflecting lately about where my current path in life has taken me.  And I have to say that I am much happier, both in terms of scope and depth.

It's important to enjoy life to the fullest extent possible.  You should be able to look back on your life and remember all the good times.  The times in your life where you smiled so hard your cheeks hurt.  Those moments of your life where you laughed so hard you were incoherent, couldn't breathe and almost peed your pants.  And for some of you, you may have actually peed your pants.  Even better!  When you look back at the highlights of your life, you should be reliving the joy and good times all over again.

Yes, it's always easier to see the negative side of a situation or take life too seriously.  Some of us happen to do it more often than others.  And while they are indeed necessary and do serve a purpose in life, never forget the flip side to that coin.

Enjoying life and being happy can mean a world of difference from the alternative.  It is tough enough sometimes to put on a pretty face when the world is beating down on your spirit.  It can be oppressing to try to look normal and show that nothing is wrong.  But it's in these instances where you can find salvation in your passion.  It's not a matter of if you possess a passion, but more so of if you have found it yet.  

Now, having superficial fun and distracting your senses is fine and serves a purpose, too.  Sometimes they are warranted, but it is never a permanent solution to life's problems.  You need to go beyond that.  There is enough in this world to entertain you and feed your thirst for vices.  I'm not here to serve that purpose.  Well, at least not on this blog.  There's another website of mine where you have to pay to see me dress up and dance, but we'll talk about that another time.

What I hope that you are able to find in this world is your true passion.  Notice I said "your" passion.

Finding solace from another warm body or only being happy when you are surrounded by the empty noise of a crowd is not passion.  I'm talking about finding your personal purpose in life that not only makes your heart race but also encompasses you in moments of unconditional joy, and gives you peace in times of unrelenting hell.  Your passion cannot be a person. People are flawed just as they are great. People assume the role of a hero who heals, educates, and fights for those that cannot fight for themselves.  It can be these same people that commit the most atrocious of crimes that brings out the despair and rage out of others.

For an example of passion, look around you.  Doctors and lawyers work disgustingly long hours, have insane amounts of stress, and have a work-life balance that I do not envy (to put it lightly).  Teachers and youth counselors deal with youth that (sometimes) have too much energy in their bodies, not enough attention in their minds, and a sense of entitlement that makes me want to shake the hell out of them on the street.  To top it off, teachers and counselors are paid crap, are under appreciated, and they don't even come close to having the status they deserve.  The point is, we wouldn't have these professions if people didn't have a passion for it.  There's always perks to having a hefty paycheck or having a summer off from professional responsibilities.  But could you deal with all of the crap too?  I couldn't.  

In what field would I be willing to take such similar punishment you ask?  Good question reader.  I'm glad you asked.  I love combat sports.  The martial arts give me a sense of happiness that cannot be compared or conveyed adequately with words.  Every sensation of being punched, kicked, kneed, grabbed, choked, crushed, slammed, thrown, pushed, pulled, yanked, tossed, or stabbed (with practice weapons of course), is the most basic syntax that I understand, aside from feeding.  And every response that I have towards my training partners, is simply my way of trying to continue the dialogue (through the forceful application of my body).  When I'm training, I'm fully engaged and trying to absorb everything being taught to me.  When I'm taking the train home, I meditate on what I can do better next time (in addition to counting my lovely bruises, scrapes, bumps, and cuts).  When I'm laying in bed, I think about what the next day will bring so I can have fun all over again.  Some people may consider this crazy.  I realize where they're coming from and it's OK.

In fact, I think that it's  a good thing.  A little insanity is good.  Follow me for a second.  The last time you were at your happiest, regardless of the source (discounting drugs), what was going through your mind?  Can you remember it?  Can you adequately put the experience into words?  Can you do it justice?  With time, I'm sure you can.  But in the moment, were you really thinking about it?  My guess is no.  You just felt alive and that all is right with the world.  Rationality and emotion are a great combination but don't always work in sync.  Sometimes you experience something that makes you ecstatic without explanation or hesitation.  Why?  Because it is your passion.  Because it is your obsession.  Because you find it fun and it makes you happy.  Because you've finally found the language of your soul.  

For me, all my hours spent training - I do it because it's fun for me.  Even when I'm doing my worst, I'm still having an awesome ride.  I train because I love myself and want to communicate to others in the most authentic way I know how.  On top of that, it is the gift that keeps on giving.  Training makes me happy, which helps me to be the nice guy that you all have come to know and love so much, which continues to help you become happier and pay it forward to everyone else.  See how awesome it all is?

Listen, you're going to be here for a while.  Might as well enjoy the ride.  Find your passion and you find yourself.  Have fun with your life.

Have A Great Weekend Everyone & Stay Strong

No comments:

Post a Comment