Saturday, February 2, 2013

Be Proud of Your Life

As I look back over my life, I can't help but reflect on all the good times.  Personally, my birthday has always been the time of year where I really give thanks for everything I have in life, as opposed to Thanksgiving where I just think of eating till I pass out.

This birthday though is a little different than any other. This year I turn 30 years old. Hitting a milestone like this has me reflecting on more than just the past 12 months.  There's been moments where I could have acted better, but luckily there were a lot more where I can proudly say, "That was me. I did that." 



Since high school, I've tried to make it a point to not regret my actions or words. The way I always thought of it, if I can minimize my weaknesses in my character, it'll be that much easier for me to put resources towards developing my strengths. And while it is a constant work in progress, I'm happy to say that I like the direction I'm heading in.   Everything that I've done in the past and all my decisions now give me confidence that I will keep on making the right choices in the future.

I try to be consistent in how I lead my life. I work towards being the person I hope to be one day. I like being a nice guy because sometimes a mindless, but friendly, gesture can brighten someone's day, and it makes me feel good to have helped that happen. I want lead a life where my kids will say to me one day, "Wow daddy, you're strong." My hope is that if they grow up seeing me in that light, that they will imitate my good habits and prevent their own health issues. I fight to be the husband that my wife deserves because she has made me, not just a better man, but a better human being overall, in ways I know I couldn't have done on my own. That and the fact that she does so damn much for us that I figured it's only fair to return the favor. And to my adversaries, I hope to be someone that warrants respect. If you're going to best me, know that you must truly earn it, because i'm fighting to the very end.

Some of the more, shall we say, regrettable moments in my life have proven to be the most valuable learning opportunities.  There have been a few occasions where Donysa has had to physically guide and help carry me home, after I've had a few too many drinks.  Through the pain, shame, and thorough discussion afterwards, I have learned about restraint and self-control.  Just like everyone else, I have said and done many things in social situations that I look back on and kind of do a cry/laugh combo as I relive the moment. Those moments have taught me that if you cannot offer anything productive to the conversation, nor can you allow yourself to think before speaking or doing something, it is best to stay quiet.  For if you try to enter the spotlight of a conversation in desperation, others begin to question your status on the mental retardation scale.  One of the more important lessons I have learned that takes constant work though, is to let go of your ego.  Trying to make a lot of noise to show that you're the best of anything, so that other people gossip about you, is complete bullshit.  You want to prove that you're good?  Shut up and show me.  If I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  It may be through gritted teeth, but you'll hear it from my lips.  I know better than to put on a show that is out of context.  The first thing I try to establish is the parameters of my integrity and then my knowledge.  Know where I stand as a person, and we can start to have a conversation from there.  Trust me, I've done my fair share of chest puffing and it's humiliating to think back.  If I can help it, I'll introduce myself and as we communicate, the labels you place on me will be close to how I hope to be seen.

As I think of how I can constantly grow as a person, I try to always remember my own past so I stay grounded to my foundation.  What am I proud of?  What goes on my resume of life?  What are the moments I should be reliving in my head to steady my spirit and guide my efforts towards enlightenment?

I am proud to say, without apology nor hesitation, that I
  • Practice Muay Thai
  • Practice Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
  • Practice Kali
  • Enjoy Blacksmithing
  • Own my own Home
  • Make an Awesome Chili
  • Enjoy Single Malt Scotches Neat 
    • (esp when paired w/a Cuban Cigar)
  • Have Tattoos
  • Married the Love of my Life
  • Survived Cancer
  • Love the Life I am Living

I try to live my life so that when I tell the story of my life to others, while they may disagree with some points, I can still hold my head high and stand behind my decisions and actions.  I hope that when we talk, you will be able to do the same.

Enjoy Your Sunday Everyone & Stay Strong

1 comment: